This is the cake…. Looks complicated? Nope, it’s really quite easy to make a Hey Duggee Cake! (If you’re wondering what on earth I am on about Hey Duggee is the main character in a Cbeebies TV show for little kiddies)?
Make a Hey Duggee Cake:
It’s just a regular circle cake, here’s how I made it:
1. Make 2 circle cakes and heat up some jam. Pop the jam between both cakes.
2. Make your paper Hey Duggee cake template
- Draw around your tin, then sketch the body.
- Draw two parallel straight lines straight down (then draw over them making them curve a bit),
- then just under half way down draw a line across. Then make it curve a bit. Easy!
- Cut out the template
6. Pop some hot jam on the arm and leg pieces and pop them in place
7. Smother some hot jam over the top and sides of the whole cake for your icing to stick to.
8. Icing. This had several stages:
- Dark brown all over. Just cover your surface and rolling pin in LOTS of icing sugar then roll out the icing, turning it over lots and swirling it 90 degrees as well.
- Trousers and top: Ok, this bit was hard. I think it would be much easier a second time. I was so into this stage I didn’t take any photos, but I have a few ideas how to make it much easier than my: roll icing out, then, gently place it over the cake, then, take it off, then, cut it to the shape needed. I think if you again use a piece of paper and draw out your shape (as you can see I had done this on the original template…. So next time I would make a second template with all the pieces – trousers, top, tie, badges.
- Tie: roll out the bright yellow icing and cut a thin strip, then pop it on the cake. Cut a tie know shape (cut a rectangle, then taper in the edges). I did this first in yellow, then made some blue icing from water+icing sugar+blue food dye, and ‘painted’ it on the shape. Wait for it to dry and pop it on Duggee.
- Badges: these were quite easy, I used a lid as a cutter to stamp out the pieces and stuck them on with a dab of water icing. Job done 🙂
- Another hard thing was Duggee’s mouth/nose area… But with a paper template the shape was easy prays to cut out of icing. Just make your shape first (even print out a Duggee picture from the internet for your templates to make things even easier!)
- Make some thick black icing with icing sugar and water, let it set a bit, then roll it into balls for Duggee’s eyes and nose.
There you have it, how to make a Hey Duggee cake!
*** Check out my other recipes too! ***