Following my ‘Days Out near Cheltenham which need to be booked‘ post, here are some outdoorsy afternoons and days out following trails and scavenger hunts around Cheltenham. Some are a bit further afield, some are free, others require admission to then be able to do the trails or hunts.
If you know of any more Gloucestershire scavenger hunts I’d love it if you could let me know so I can add them to this page. Comment below, or contact me on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
Hidden Cheltenham Trail
An Augmented Reality trail to uncover the clues to make a word including challenges, fun facts and history. On completion each child receives a goodie bag.
Sign up and download the map for free, or collect a map from The Wilson Art Gallery. More information on CheltenhamBID.
Dates: Starts Wednesday July 17 and runs 9am-5pm Monday to Saturday until Monday September 2
*The free Cheltenham Hidden Trail is a collaborative event organised by – Cheltenham Business Improvement District (BID), The Cheltenham Trust and Cheltenham Borough Council’s, No Child Left Behind campaign.
Collect a map from The Wilson Art Gallery: Clarence St, Cheltenham GL50 3JT
Monster Hero Safari – Montpellier
Min donation £2 per family – raising funds for NHS Charities Together, which supports NHS staff and volunteers caring for Covid-19 patients.
Monster Hero Safari challenges families to hunt for 10 monster superheroes displayed in public windows, and using augmented reality tap the monster’s belly to learn their names, origin stories and powers.
Receive a free ebook about their adventure on completion.
Cafe Boho Scavenger Hunt
£6.95 one child, £ two childen, £ three children
Scavenger hunt must be booked online (BY 6pm on the previous day)
Cafe Boho, Great Norwood Street is offering a child’s scavenger hunt complete with picnic pancake lunch in a rucksack for £6.95 and includes a prize at the end!
The scavenger hunt starts at Cafe Boho and goes to Montpellier Park, Imperial Gardens and the Promenade. Kids get a rucksack (to keep) and a Pancake Picnic to enjoy en route!
Scavenger Hunts must be pre-booked online the day before through the Cafe Boho website…
- Cafe Boho address: 8 Great Norwood St, Cheltenham GL50 2AN
- Website to book a scavenger hunt: www.cafebohocheltenham.co.uk
Primrose Vale summer hunt
£1 per child, however only available if you have a booked PYO slot or play park slot (both can be booked for FREE from 5pm the day before you wish to go).
PYO or Playpark must be booked online (from 5pm on the previous day)
A ‘no touch’ summer trail for older kids, and a fruit trail to follow for younger ones.
Primrose Value is one of our favourite local afternoons out and we often do their Easter and Halloween Trails too, as well as strawberry picking each year.
- Primrose Vale address: Shurdington Rd, Bentham, Cheltenham GL51 4UA
- Website to book PYO or Playground: www.primrosevale.com (to allow you access to do the scavenger hunt)
Over Farm summer hunt
£5 per child (walking to 18 years) and £4 per adult.*
Summer trail must be booked online
* This includes entrance to the farm and all the activities, a map and question sheet plus a small prize from the admissions hut once you’ve completed the trail.
Over Farm is running a summer trail most suitable for those age 2-10 and taking around 1-2 hours to complete with lots of fun activities like,
- A double high slide
- Monkey bars
- Tree maze
- Balancing planks
- Bale climbing stack
- Duck racing
- Bug batting
- Jumping pillows (please bring socks)…
Book in advance here: Book Over Farm Summer Trail
- Over Farm address: Over Farm, Over GL2 8DB
- Website to book Summer Trail: www.overfarm.co.uk
Rococo Gardens Summer Trail
Rococo Garden admission (£4.10 children, £9.00 adults (+ other prices)), Summer trail is FREE.
Admission and summer trail must be booked online in ADVANCE
A brand-new, fun trail created by local children’s author and illustrator Hannah Shaw…
During lockdown an unidentified egg was found in the Garden and they’re not sure what has hatched out of it! Track down the clues and hopefully find the hatchling from an unidentified egg.
- Rococo Gardens address: Gloucester Rd, Painswick, Stroud GL6 6TH
- Website to book a visit to Rococo Garden: www.rococogarden.org.uk
TRAILS SLIGHTLY FURTHER AFIELD…
Big Batsford Bug Hunt – Batsford Arboretum
Big Batsford Bug Hunt – £2.50 children + admission to Batsford Arboretum ( £8.10 adults, £3.15 children, Family £18.15
Booking not necessary!
Find bugs hidden around the arboretum to win a prize.
- Batsford Arboretum address: Batsford, Moreton-in-Marsh GL56 9AD
- Website to book/more info: www.batsarb.co.uk
Gruffalo Trail at Dean Heritage Centre
Gruffalo Trail only* – £3 each, under 3’s FREE (includes playground)
Booking not necessary!
* Gruffalo trail + playground entry is £3 each, and does not include entry to the centre.
Dean Heritage Centre Admission prices: Adult: £7.20, Concession: £6.30 , Children: £5.40 (3-16 years), Under 3: FREE, Family: £23.00 (2 adults and up to 3 children) (additional children, normal entry price)
Follow the story of The Gruffalo through figures carved by Clayton Ryder, our site Manager and internationally renowned chainsaw carver.
- Dean Heritage Centre address: Camp Mill, Soudley, Forest of Dean GL14 2UB
- Website to book/more info: https://www.deanheritagecentre.com/
Various Trails at Westonbirt Arboretum
Westonbirt Admission needed
Westonbirt Admission MUST be BOOKED online in advance
- Adult: £11
- Students & job seekers: £7
- Child (5-18 years): £4
- Under 5s go free
The Plant Hunter Academy 2020
Collect the free activity pack from the information point. Find your own hidden trees, and follow some clues to find a tree introduced into the UK by Ernest Wilson
Gruffalo Trail – find the sculptures located around the Arboretum.
We love this and all of their pop up trails e.g. the recent Zog trail. We are members of Westonbirt, so do go quite often!
- Westonbirt Arboretum address: Westonbirt, Tetbury GL8 8QS
- Website to book/more info: https://www.forestryengland.uk/westonbirt-the-national-arboretum
Berkeley Castle Dragon Trail
Dragon trail is FREE, but Castle admission needed.
Berkeley Castle Admission MUST be BOOKED online in advance.
- Adult £14.00
- Children (age 3 – 16) £7.00
- Concession (full-time student or aged 65+) £12.50
- Family (2 adults and 2 children) £39.00
The Dragon trail map and clues can be downloaded at home before you visit: BERKELEY CASTLE DRAGON TRAIL MAP.
- Westonbirt Arboretum address: Berkeley GL13 9PJ
- Website to book/more info: https://www.berkeley-castle.com/visit
I really hope you’ve found this post useful and enjoy some lovely days out from it. Let me know in the comments or on social media -all my links are at the top!
If you have any friends who would love these scavenger hunts and days out, share the post with them too and have a look at my other posts on local days out around Gloucestershire.