How to get a good night’s sleep, that’s what we all want to know isn’t it? In fact I’d really love to know how to get a fabulous night’s sleep, just like when we stay in a hotel, or like those long lies we used to have before the little monster came along. Well, last night I had the BEST nights sleep that I’ve had in a few weeks. Do you want to know why and how??Well over the last few weeks we’ve had an ill little toddler, and we’ve also had two trips to A&E. So, no, things haven’t gone smoothly, and none of us have been sleeping brilliantly. That’s the way things are for parents isn’t it?
Luckily, you might have seen a few posts about sleep tips as Yorkshire Linen are running a Sleep Revolution Campaign to get us Mum Bloggers talking about our sleep troubles (where do we start?!!!) and our tips for a good night’s sleep.
We’ve had one of those January’s: Baby H has been waking, and we’ve been checking her so often as she had such a horrible fever, she’s also teething again, and well, my leg hasn’t been brilliant since I tipped a boiling cup of tea on it few weeks ago.
On top of all that we have been decorating since before New Year and sleeping in the spare room surrounded by boxes. Ok, some nights we did sleep well despite the clutter, but believe me we were exhausted beyond crazy levels!
Anyway, what happened last night to give us such a fabulous night’s sleep? Did baby H sleep through? Nope! I was up twice, at 3am and 5.30am. So what was our secret? How did we get a good night’s sleep?
1.Bedding is number one in this list…
- We changed the sheets yesterday. Don’t you always LOVE clean sheets? They feel comfy, snuggly and I always just want t? jump right into bed straight away and have a wee nap. Chance would be a fine thing, eh?!
- Brand new bedding… Ok it’s not brand new, but it’s nearly new and so soft. It also give such a lovely feel to the room, finishes it off nicely, and just offers a really quick pick me up and new bedroom feel.
- Good quality bedding – let’s face it we’ve all stayed in a hotel or B&B or hostel with terrible rough scratchy bedding. Sleeping in bedding you just feel un-comfy in and then have an awful nights sleep. Our bedding is lovely and soft, like this from Yorkshire Linen () with a 200 thread count.
2. Newly decorated room. Before, it was still as the previous owners had left it, not to our taste. But, now it’s a nice calm grey, with lamps and ?cushions and our homely bits and pieces.
3. The right temperature, ok this is slightly harder to control, but don’t you think you sleep better if the room is just right? Especially as a mum getting up throughout the night you don’t want the house being really freezing, but cool enough that it’s lovely and comforting to get back into that soft snuggly bed.
4. Downtime before going to sleep – yes, go to bed slightly earlier, read a book, watch a favourite TV series, do whatever it is couples do. Basically, just relax so you’re not thinking about your to-do list or the day’s troubles. Even browse a few blogs (I can recommend a few if you like!) so that you’re nicely tuned out and ready for sleep.
5. Dim lighting, yes turn off that main light, and get some lamps. Bedside lamps and a standing light give a completely different feel to a room. Think of hotels, you always end the day with just the lights on which have switches by the bed – usually a bedside light or standing lamp. Recreate that feel at home! That’s our aim with our redecoration – I’m creating our own hotel room!
So those are my tips.
I especially recommend going for a lovely hotel room feel. I can’t share piccys of our bedroom yet, as it’s not quite finished, but here are some ideas of what we’re going for:
Good quality bedding like these:
Hotel room style just like this:
Of course every hotel room has several cushions on the bed, just to make you want to dive straight in and go to sleep RIGHT NOW.
So, why not check out Yorkshire Linen – I know so many lovely shops have gorgeous bedding, but they’ll struggle to beat Yorkshire Linen’s prices!
So let’s also bring some positive thinking into it…. ?Say it with me, “I will sleep well tonight!” Yes, despite having babies, toddlers and kiddies keeping us from our beds in the night, it is possible, in-between the night feeds and cuddles we WILL sleep well too. Go on, create that haven in your home, with some gorgeous new sheets, some nice dim-able lighting and some homely touches.
So I believe we all have tips to share, so please share your sleep tips below... I’ll add your ideas to the post here (a nice comprehensive list… (My OCD likes nice lists!)) So please take part! I need all the tips I can get 😀
If you want to share tips on Twitter, use the #PatchUpWithYourSleep #MumBloggers&YorkshireLinen hashtags when you tweet to be part of the Yorkshire Linen Campaign.
What have I missed that helps you sleep nicely?
Disclaimer: This is a collaborative post and I have been compensated for writing this… However, all opinions are still my own, and are my very honest opinion. We all need the best sleep we can get! Unfortunately all the trips to A&E, and my burnt legs are also true!
All images are from the Yorkshire Linen website