We’ve been pestered all weekend by pesky flies and I’ve had enough. We swoosh them out the door, Hoover them up and endlessly jump around like idiots trying to swat them. Each time we catch one we think that’s it. But five minutes later one cheeky black fly-irritation lands beside us, or wooshes around our heads just showing off. Well I’m sorry, I’m not trying to be humane anymore, I’ve made a trap!
6 easy steps to make a fly trap
1. Get a plastic bottle
3. Throw out the middle and take the cap off the top
4. Put the top upside down in the bottom
5. Tape them together & add Duck Tape so they’re secure and then trim the top so the Duck Tape is the top (it’s less jagged that way)
6. Add sugar, water, washing up liquid mixture (I actually didn’t bother washing the lemonade bottle to get a nicely sugary mixture ?)
I used bright l’orange Duck Tape in the hope the flies might be attracted to its brightness.
I’ve made three in total:
- one using sugar & water & washing up liquid & lemon (above)
- one with vinegar & washing up liquid & lemon
- one in vinegar & washing up liquid
I’ll let you know if we catch any flies!!! I have a gut feeling I should have left one as plain sugar and water.
Do you have any tips? Add them in the comments!
Disclaimer: I was sent some Duck Tape to use in my crafting projects, but all thoughts on it are my own! I don’t know if anyone else has used it for this sort of project, I haven’t looked: it was handy and the colour made sense!