After almost 17 months of being a mummy, I’ve learnt a few lessons. One, being mummy needs to look after herself. A few essentials should always be kept close at hand, slotted into the changing bag, beside the sofa, popped in a kitchen cupboard.
The Mummy Kit really is essential…
Hand cream is a must must MUST have. Why?
1. Nappies are terrible things, and you spend your waking and sleeping hours changing nappies, then, as the nappies trail off…
2. Weaning takes over and that involves washing your hand and dishes and picking up so much half chewed food you wouldn’t believe how many times you actually wash them, never mind the fact that…
3. Pram pushing exposes your hands to every element going. Well, if I’m honest, today we’ve had sun, rain, hail and snow… so this is a biggie, even at the end of April.
4. Remember the past… you used hand cream before you had baby and that was just doing every day stuff… so now it’s even more of an essential.
5. Mummy time – yes, that 2 seconds of smothering my hands in cream really feels indulgent. How sad is that!
2) Nail essentials – nail scissors, clippers, files – I’m constantly breaking nails, and scratchy nails are not good!
3) Tissues – yes, you have baby wipes and they work for everything, but tissues are good for mopping up too!
4) Hair bobbles – you go for that walk, and five minutes later realise you’ve been so intent on baby and the relief of being out of the house after half an hour of trying to leave, you suddenly notice it’s really windy and you can’t actually see.
5) Sweets or chocolate – you will need a little sugar rush between the walks, nappies and feeding cycles. The number of times lunch is ridiculously early, or late, or forgotten.
6) Hydration – yes, coffee, tea, squash, but water is a definite must have! A sports bottle makes it easy and also helps avoid spills – face it as a mummy you have enough to clean up!
What do you think? Would you add anything?
If you agree, please share this with any of your mummy friends, and your pregnant friends too 🙂 Thank you!