Earlier this year we were too late to fly abroad for a last holiday before our second baby arrived, so instead we decided on a staycation visiting Peppa Pig World, Weymouth SeaLife Adventure Park and Caribbean Cove play park. We stayed in a Holiday Inn near Peppa Pig World on the edge of the New Forest and then at West Bay Holiday Park (Parkdean caravan site) in Dorset. West Bay poses stunning scenery typical of the Jurassic Coast, huge cliffs that feature in the ITV drama Broadchurch.
West Bay is gorgeous, the cliffs stunning, the sunset that of a picture postcard, the harbour perfect for toddler boat spotting.
As any geologist will say, the Jurassic Coast is stunning, and well worth a visit, it’s pinnacles, coves, arches and cliffs provide gorgeous scenery as well as being filled with a variety of fossils. It is with noting that this means the area can be subject to landslides and rockfalls so it’s always important to pay attention to all sign posts and stay away from and rockfalls you spot, as there could be more coming just behind.
But, back to the caravan site, West Bay Holiday Park… We’ve also stayed at Parkdean’s Croyde Bay and I have to say straight off that I think we were spoiled by it as it really set the bar high. West Bay is good, and I’m sure people return year after year and have a fabulous time, but we did note some shortcomings and so would try another site in the future.
What we loved about West Bay:
- Convenient for the beaches – 5-10 minute walk
- Has both an adult and toddler swimming pool – the toddler pool has a slide, but is quite small.
- On site restaurant although we thought expensive for what it was)
- Entertainment – day and evening
- Small site
- Kids swing park
- Soft play
- Right beside the harbour
- Restaurants (and take always) within minutes walk around the harbour
- Chip shop opposite site reception
- Laundry on site
- Shop on site
- Site is beside the harbour and feels very much like part of the village and isn’t miles outside or surrounded by fences
A few things we didn’t love…
- We were disappointed with the size of the toddler pool and expected it to be larger
- Caravans felt very close together
- Can’t park at some caravans
- Not much view from the caravans
- Some caravans (ours) were right next to the entertainment buildings and rather noisy at night
- Less to do than on other sites
- Small site, felt more cramped than some
Here are a few pictures of our caravan too…
Oh and we did enjoy the ice creams, even if Toddler H wanted ours instead of hers!
If you are off on a caravan holiday make sure to check my caravan packing list to make sure you don’t forget anything!
Have you been to West Bay? Is there a static caravan site you’d recommend in Dorset (or elsewhere)?