Big news…. H now has 2 teeth! ? I’ve actually been waiting so I could tell you about all 4 teeth, and now, 2 months after thhe first cut, I’m giving up! (Update: the day after posting this at the start of November, with many days of her finger in her mouth and funny sleep patterns, we noticed a top tooth had appeared… And the day after that the other front top one popped out!)
It all started one Sunday morning H was a real grump, and looked absolutely shattered, she needed a nap (but refused to), from the moment she got up. She also kept falling over. She’s a brilliant cruiser and fantastic at standing up herself, she started doing both over 2 months ago, so really has had loads of practice and is really strong. We thought it was because she was tired and had been waking every hour or two for the last few nights. Anyway after a couple of hours nap at lunch time she was in much better form.
So, Sunday evening, she then slept through… 10pm until 7.30am. Well weren’t we shocked! Yes, but, not as shocked as when I was feeding her her breakfast and noticed this little white tooth poking through her gum!
Que lots of me trying to take photos to send to hubby…. No, none really showed it. So I trotted off down to his work at lunch time and little H promptly fell asleep! Seriously from reading this you’d think she napped brilliantly, believe me, she doesn’t! Teething = sleeping and napping! Anyway, she did wake up and have a great time playing with daddy in the sun outside his office. Hehehe the things we do eh?! By that point she had a little white bit poking through and the area around it had swollen up too, into a big white lump. I should note she was still a bit fall-y over and grumpy on Monday morning too.
So, we’re now on Tuesday and I can see the whole top of her tooth. A very cute white little line just visible through her gum.
As soon as we started getting terrible runny pooey nappies which ruin EVERY piece of clothing, I started this post, documenting our potential teething journey…
To summarise, what were our teething signs and symptoms?
Over the few weeks before (possibly a month before):
- A few weeks of leaking, poonamis, I’m talking newborn style runny nappies. Completely unpredictable, leaking everywhere. Nappy rash.
- Red cheeks on and off
- Dribble, but not as bad as it had been months ago when she first got her little white bumps on her gums
- Irritable, especially at night but not wanting milk or food, a different irratible. Usually in short bursts, like we would say ‘ouch’, but she doesn’t know how to do that so gets upset. ?She often went through periods of waking but not wanting anything, just going to sleep again when we went through to her or after one suck of the bottle. Night after night of just needing to see mummy ever hour or so. #shatteredmummy #poorteethingbaby
- However, about a week before, she slept really well and even napped well in the day. This lasted until a few days before that first tooth cut through.
The day before:
- Looked shattered
- Falling over, not her steady self
- And, sleeping 9.5 hours straight through!
This all pretty much happened with the second tooth which cut through two weeks later, although on a much lesser scale (whew!).
Here are some little pictures…
Her white bumps (which appeared at 3 months, along with red cheeks, dribble and chewing EVERYTHING in sight (she was the only baby in our NCT group interested in Sophie the Giraffe)):
Her bumps a couple of weeks before her teeth cut through:
Her little tooth the day it cut through – see the bright white spot, it was actually a very thin line:
Hope this helps if your little one is teething, and sorry to say…
Teething = a long drawn our process + an irritable baby 🙁
Disclaimer: this is our story, and yours will differ…. Teething is different for every baby, sorry, but I hope this helps!?
Linking to KCACOS and SundayStars